Saturday, March 11, 2006

Reassessing my poker progression

I'm happy with some of the things I have accomplished this year. I havent redeposited this year. I pulled off a $2k MTT win, anhave improved my nolimit game.

I am going to work on building my bankroll frm the point I am at now utilizing sound bankroll management. Although I realize every player needs to take shots at bigger games in order to build their bankroll and move up in the limits, I think that it is even more important to have the bankroll that prevents those shots from crippling you. The bankroll is essentially the tool box of a poker player. If you loose your tools, you have no way to build your future in the game.

I am going to strictly adhere to a 5%/10% regimen. That is I will not buyin to any table for more than 5% of my bankroll, and once I have more than 10% of my bankroll at stake on a table I will leave.

Unfortunetly that puts me back at the penny tables again. I currently have $29.66 in my account.

One other goal I have is to satellite into the WSOP this year. Fortunately party poker, full tilt, and poker stars are running freerolls and low buyin satellites. So I still can take a shot at these satellites and not violate my bankroll guidlines.

I am pretty confident that I will be able to move through the limits and wont be playing the penny tables for long. Here is an interesting interview with Chris Ferguson where he talks about how he built $1 into $25k in just a couple of months. Obviously Chris has a little more skill than I do, but I am going to try and pull off a similar feat. I am not going to play at any limit where my 5% buyin is less than 50% of the max buyin. I think buying in as a short stack takes away some of the tools in a poker players arsenal.

It will be interesting to see what I can accomplish through the rest of the year. I would really like to take a shot at building my $30 into $100k over the next year, but am shooting for $50k by my next birthday (March 10, 2007). I am going to update my blog to show my progress and goals. I am also going to continue to four table and play on sites where I earn rakeback. Once my bankroll is bigger I will definetly start playing multitable tournaments again. I plan to only play MTT's with buyins that are 1% or less of my bankroll. So right now I can play $0.25 tournaments ( I dont know any that exist, so that essentially equals freerolls). I dont feel that freerolls are worthwhile given the limited return on time vs playing cash games. The only exception to this currently are the party WSOP satellites. By my calculations if you make it through the initial field it is equal to a $47 value for you entry into the weekly satellite.


I am going to update my blog with some other items also. I have some interesting things I have been wanting to add, so I am going to do that over the next week or so. I have recently found some good poker related media, podcasts, internet magazines, and other poker blogs. I am going to try to set my site up to be an affiliate too.

Well thats all, my abstenance from poker didnt last the week so I am going to play a little bit now.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home