Saturday, January 28, 2006

Gave my buddy a poker lesson, and other developments

Last night a friend of mine came over for a little poker lesson. I played a $22 STT on Fulltilt and gave a commentary to him as I played. Unfortunetly I showed him how to bubble and take a loss.

I asked if he wanted to give it a shot, but he felt more comfotable watching me play another one. During the second game I managed to come back from being short stacked and taking second place. So at this point I was +10 and had played for ~2 hours. I asked my friend if he was ready to play one, He felt a little better about playing so I backed him in a $11 STT. He did well and micked his teacher by busting the bubble. I asked if he wanted to try one more and enrolled him in a $6 satellite. I advised him to make a move on a weak opponent, who ended up calling and catching a backdoor draw. I told him that he was welcome to give it another shot, but he didnt want to deplete my bankroll. I registered him in a play money sitngo and he ended up taking second. I think he picked up alot, he didnt ask many questions playing the play $ tourney and made the right moves more often than not.

My bankroll suffered a little negative equity, but it felt good to be able to teach someone a little about the game. It also helped me to analyze how I play a little bit.

So today, I was reading on pokerfox how Maxpot cashed in a $700k satellite for a $530 entry. I hadnt realized they were running the $750 this weekend and thought I would give it a shot.

I registered in a $5r early in the afternoon. I got kinda carried away with my rebuys though. I had the most rebuys ever for me in a rebuy event. I had 15 rebuys and 1 addon. I had been reading alittle on 2+2 and other various sites about MTT strategy.

One of the strateies I encountered which made sense to me was regarding rebuys. Basically, by making -cEV moves in a rebuy game if my hand busts and I rebuy I am bringin in more chips into play on my table. It also helps to get my opponents to open up and gamble a little bit during the rebuy period.

The strategy worked before long there were over 150k in chips on my table. Obviously I put a significant potion of them on there by this time I think I had about 9 rebuys. Then the worst thing posisble happened, one guy didnt rebuy and they broke our table.

I was moved to a table that had ~20k in chips in play. A really dissapointing siutation for me, because I was 100% sure that I could outplay the person who had the majority of the chips on my previous table. I had position on him, and he was generally a poor player. I decided to keep an eye on him thorugh the rest of the tournament. When our tbale broke he was in second place with 32k in T$. At the end of the rebuy period he still had the same 30k....

I ended the rebuy period at 7k which was just about average if I remeber right. The biggeststack at my table was 16k, and to my left, but he wasnt a strong player. I ended up doubling thru him and bringing my chip count to 15k before I was moved.

The guy form my first table ended up busting out at 103/640. he never did anyhting with those chips and got trapped in a hand with JJ, with A on a flop vs AK.

I ended up moving my way through the ranks. When we were about 60 players left I made some bad plays and was at 59/60. I dont knwo who I managed to go on a rush and before I knew it I was the chip leader on my table. I eventually moved up to 2nd in total chips with about 30-40 people left.

I pushed around some short stacks and everntually found myself in the first place position. After that I more or less coasted until we were all in the $. Not a bad payday, I took down $530 T$ after unregistereing from the 750k.

I am going to play the stars $700k next weekend with the proceeds of this satellite. I am going to try and convert the rest into cash via $22 STT's and maybe a few 180's.

I have started that quest on a good foot. I landed first place in my frst $22 and converteed $T22 into $90.

There was another $5's sat starting after I finished my STT, so I am playing in that righ t now. We jsut ended the rebuy period and I have 16k in chips and am in 20th place. I have to go so that I can focus now that the rebuy is over, but at least for this one I only had 1 rebuy and 1 addon, fo a total of $15 invested.

I'll update once its over....

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home