Sunday, April 23, 2006

SHIP IT!

I made it to a final table finally. I was on a long bad run, and was at my stop loss with just $50 to go. I decided that rather than drop my last buyin at a ring game I would try my luck at a couple tournaments. I sat at a $21 HU and took it down. I accepted rematch because I felt I had figured out my opponent. The rematch didnt go well and I ended up giving it back to him. So I was down the rake.

I then signed up for a $50+5, it was orginally a real small field, with only 12 players. I wasnt going to go for that. When it was down to 5 mins there were 40 or so players so I decided to give it a go.

The field ended up being 49, and paid out 8 places. So even if you made it to the final table (10 on UB) you werent guaranteed squat.

It was a tough game, I was actaully short about the 5th level with an M of exactly 10. I decided to wait it out and watch for an opputunity. I got luck and noticed that the table in general was playing tight, except for 2 players. One player liked to limp in any position and see cheap flops, but if he limped and was raised he would fold.

Another player at the table always made stabs at the pot or dead money in late position. A couple of times someone came back at him and he let go.

It was noticing this 2 players in particular that allowed me to survive and chip up. I exploited their tendencies several times without any cards. I was lucky that my reads were right and they didnt come back.

When we were down to 2 tables I hit the gas and attacked weakness ruthlessly. Once the antes were introduced It really helped me to chip up. The chip leader got caught, and the stacks were almost even across the board.

When we got to the final table I was second in chips. and the table was all playing super tight on the bubble. I abused the dog shit out of them. Going into the money I had 2nd place out chipped 2:1.

Once in the money not much went down. I tightened back up and made moves when I had cards or position. When we were down to 4 I was still chip leader with 45k and second had 22. A hand later I clipped him for 7k and I now had 50k and second had 15k I never looked back and took down first for a cool $885.


Now the bad news is that I ran terrible today. It was unreal how much I was dumping. It seems like annie duke flipped the doom switch on me.

I am planning on cashing out half of my account. I think I need to take some of my winnings. If I dont what am I playing for?

I am going to buy an IPOD and give my wife a little bit to go shopping with. I think its only fair, after all she puts up with my sorry ass more often than not.

My bankroll is just under 1200 now. I am going to take out $500 and leave in $700. I think that is a good mix, and hopefully with my renewed confidence I can go on a little rush.

Anyway thanks for reading and sharing my good fortune with me.

2 Comments:

At 11:27 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Congrats on your score! When stuff comes together like that it tends to make you feel like your on top of the world! Keep up the great play!

Now, not to be the bringer of bad news but weren't you playing above your bankroll for the tourney? Its great you scored but it could have been a bubble bust. Just hope you really play it smart and stay within whatever bankroll guidelines you are utilizing after making this big score. Goodluck!

 
At 3:51 PM, Blogger Jerry said...

you caught me :p

I had decided to take a shot and was playing the $50 NL which was over my bankroll too. I had been running g00t and went on a losing streak over the weekend. I had set a stop loss, and was within $50 of it. I decided rather than toss it to the players at the ring game, I would take a shot in a MTT. IF I hit a blank I would step back down and build up again.

I got lucky, and played well. Its kind of funny though looking back most of my big scores have been in tournaments in $50 and $100 MTT's. I dont know if I can attribute that to the other players being beter, or that I tend to take them more serious than lower buyin tournaments. I'm playing live this weekend, and hopefully will take down a nice score. and be able to comforatbly play at these limits for a while.

If not I am preparedto step back down and grind some more. I cashed out a little bit and have paid my spousal taxes, along with picking up some things I had been wanting to purchase.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home