Friday, April 07, 2006

HEEEHAAWW

So I've been playing like a donkey in my MTT action. Not really, but its amazing how one bad move can change your whole dynamic in a MTT.

I continued my strak of going out early in the BPT events. I played a $20 180 man on Stars, no luck. I vowe to one day win one of these, but its going ot have to take a hiatus, until I can recoup my losses of the last couple of days.

I also lost ~$40 on Titan playing 1./.2 NL. I can attribute that tho playing bad and head hunting a donkey, who was an uber luck box.

The only success I had last night was in the Lavalife poker challenge freeroll on party. I actually forgot about it, but had signed into party to see what kind of action was going on in the WSOP Steps.

While I was playing the BPT event, the freeroll started up. I wasnt surprised when I realized that my table of 10 only had one other active player. I had position on this player and raised him every hand, sometimes with a hand, but usually not. About 5-6 hands in I got AA, he opened for a raise. I reraised him (typical of how I had been playing) and he called. He bet out on the flop, and I raised him again. He pushed and I called. He showed A9, and had paired his 9.

After this player was gone, I proceeded to raise every hand and collect blinds. When I had the players down to a short stack, I sat out so that I could focus on my 180 MTT. At this point I was actually doing quite well in the MTT. I was in the top 10. About 7-8 mins later soemone was moved to my table, and I caught them picking up the blinds. I knocked them out after a couple of hands. At this point I had ~32k with the avg stack being ~4k.

I wasnt the only one who had this fortune. I checked and there were several other tables where this was going on. Out of the 550 man field, I bet there wasnt more than 90 ppl actually playing.
Anyway I managed to last it out and make it past the top 20 ppl, and advance to the final in june. The first prize is a trip to turk and caicos, second is a 50" plasma, they give away ipods and gift certificates too. Every place pays out at least $25. Not bad for a freeroll. The field will be 220 ppl. So it shouldnt be tough. If I can shake my donk tendencies.

Although I am down for the week, the loss is offset by the free $20 I recieved from pokersavy, and the $75 in amazon gift certs that I earned by completing the titan promo.

My bankroll is just over $200 right now, but I hope to boost it back up over the weekend, when there are more recreational players online. If I drop down to $170, I am going to step back down to the .05/.1 games and try to rebuild.

I should have ~90 in rakeback and referral bonuses coming in the next week or so. I also plan on going over and playing at sun poker and picking up my $90 free. I finally received my cashout pin, so I wont have to wiat along time after clearing that bonus to move my $ out.

thats all...

2 Comments:

At 9:57 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

ScaryJerry,

I'm going to sign up for BPT in next few days so I can start participating in the freeroll starting with the April 15th event. Like you said it seems like a potentially easy way to possibly qualify for a chance at the main event or other very nice prizes.

I'm going to continue to pursue the $15+1 double shootouts on the Stars to the Sunday $650 Sunday Qualifier to the WSOP. These fields are insanely soft. I might get 1 solid player at the first table and the rest are a good mix of pure donks, maniacs and calling stations. They are generally trying to win the tournament in the first or second level of play and it is just insane.

Unfortunately I haven't been able to get any cards to hold up in these donkfests but its only a matter of time. My plan is to take the first $650 Qualifier ticket, sell it for cash (about $590-600) and use that to pursue more Sunday $650 tickets and play in 1 Sunday event for every 2 more I win.

I haven't played in the Sunday $650 event but if you look at the prize payout your chances of qualifying are pretty good. I'm used to cashing most MTT's which means making it down to the final 10% of the field. If you can manage to hang on a just a little bit longer the top 8% of the field is given back their $650 buy-in back and slightly more than the top 5% of field is winning WSOP packages. Thats 31 out of 566 entrants, pretty good odds IMO.

I'm sorry if I got a little carried away on the double shootout thing but what I wanted to ask was that you mentioned you had about 32k in chips when the average was 4k. Was that in the 180-man Sng? If it was how did you lose all those chips? If that was 180-man Sng you should have cruised to the final table.

Also when you mentioned that there were a huge amount of players sitting out in that BPT MTT is that normal for that many ppl to be sitting out? Thanks.

 
At 11:29 PM, Blogger Jerry said...

zeke, sorry I havent reread my post, but i might have screwed up typing it.sometimes when i type on my laptop i end up jumping back by accidentally hitting the touchpad.

I played several tournaments that night. The BPT on stars, a 180 man on stars, and a lavalife freeroll qualifier on party (lavalifepokerchallenge.com)

I didnt ever get anything going in the BPT event on stars. I had one player who I though was making a move b/c he saw me lay down other hands. so I called with a marjinal hand.

In the 180 I was playing solid, and doing well. I ended up getting into a big pot the turn made for a very scary coordinated board (3 to a flush and straight),so i laid down my hand when another player made a move that would have committed me to my whole stack.

The lavalife game was one that I was the only one at the table, I ended up making it to the final in that one no problem. Its going to be a 220 man field and every place pays at least $25.

As far as your plan to do the double shootouts and, i think you are right. I only played those once, but breezed through my first table, and ended up going out in 4th at final table. the T$ on stars is a great way to build a bankroll. I might go back and do the same. I have had a lot of luck playing in the $3r and $5r sat's. I have usually used them to play smaller mtt's and stt's. And have played in the sunday event and some 109 mtt's. If I ever do it again I probably should stick to smaller buyins. Sorry for the ramble. I'm tired. I hope I clarified my situation. I am not a total donk and didnt blow that huge chip stack.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home