Sunday, May 21, 2006

so im back

Last week I wasnt around. I signed up for prison camp, or 4th grade camp. It was an interesting experience. One of the parents who went along called it Child Appreciation Camp, because you appreciate how well behaved your children are compared to the general popluation.

It was nice ot get away from the game, and clear my mind. I got back on friday and didnt play at all. I played just a little on saturday. I had a private freeroll tournament lined up but ended up not playing because we went to a friends house for dinner and played some cards.

I did play a little today but never produced alot. I played 4 $5 STT's. I blanked in 2, and took first and second in the other 2. I played a $5 MTT and finished ~300 of 1000. I got wolloped with several bad beats but the hand I went out on was a result of bad play on my part.

My bankroll is $88 right now, its a meager amount. I am not sure how I should proceed. Basically I need to get lucky on go on a heater, or I'm going to be busto. I do have another $50 in rakeback coming, but that wont be for several more weeks.

I think I am going to conitinue my hiatus and not play much this week. I have a couple of big projects going on at work, and would be better off focusing on those.

3 Comments:

At 9:09 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Glad to see you survived your weekend. Your daughter is a bit older than mine but even when I go and help out at my daughter's classroom it is fun but very trying at the same time.

So your bankroll is down but you've recovered from it before. You should be confident in your game but your going to have to go back grinding out the micro limit ring games. Your good at it so you should just stick to it until your bankroll is back up to get back into your regular play.

Again you have to stay away from those higher buy-in tournaments especially mtt's. Ture they have big payouts but the risk of ruin is to great if you go that route or another extremely high buy-in game in relation to your bankroll.

In the 20 months I've been playing online poker I've had 2 really bad months. The first bad month was early on in my learning curve but both times I was seriously considering throwing in the poker towel and calling it quits. I took a couple weeks off from playing poker. During this time I did evaulate my hand histories and figured out some of the things I was doing wrong.

Hell I was taking a considerable amount of bad beats and getting unlucky quite often but there were mistakes I made that could have prevented those (missed a bet, protected my hand, priced someone in, played a fragile hand out of position and pushed it too far, etc.) I was also guilty early on of playing tournaments above my buy-in level for my bankroll. Even though I feel comfortable playing higher the risk of ruin is so much greater and my bankroll can't sustain losing streaks.

So what am I saying? Get back on the horse, ante up, and move on. Get back to your shorthanded NL micro game and grind it out. If your confident in your sng game then hammer away at $5.50 sngs too. Stay with the $5.50's until you reach 20x or 30x (or whatever you use) before moving up to the $11's.

Good luck!

 
At 9:24 PM, Blogger Jerry said...

Thanks for the words of encouragment zeke. The time off definetly helped, it was nice being forced into a break. Too many times I find myself trying to come out of being stuck, and continuing the bad habits that got me stuck in th efirst place.

I am back on my horse, and trying to play my best game. I feel my best game is actually the $25NL or $50NL games, so I am working on those. Its definetly over my bankroll, but I have a higher EV than at the lower 6max games. I used to play STT's but feel if I play to many it changes up my cash game skills and it takes me a while to recover.

I am going to avoid the high buyin MTT's, although they are like crack. Everytime I flip to the tournament tab and see a $109 guarantee or a $55 its like it is calling my name.

I know its a recipe for disaster but I enjoy the higher level of play you see at these levels vs. the $1-$30 MTT's. I just have to work on getting the bankroll healthy enough to hit them again someday without the risk of going broke being a factor.

I appreciate the comments, I read them all, I did have to set it up to approve comments though because of the amount of spam. So if anyone else has anything to add always feel free I'll approve anything as long as its not spam. even if it is critical of my game. I am not so arrogant to not realize that I play bad sometimes, and am always looking to improve my game.

thanks to everyone who continus to stop by to see how this donkey rolls.

 
At 11:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I used to get spam all the time and got tired of deleting them. Turned on word verification and no more spam.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home